Today she released 99 Cents, her third studio album.
It’s a g*ddamn treat to wait so patiently for something and have those accidental expectations exceeded—considering there are four years between records. Even though—technically—I haven’t waited 4 years. ????
I’m currently at my standing desk jamming and dancing to Banshee.
I wish the lyrics were already available. It’s kinda unbelievable how early I am listening to this. I’ve seen her videos and audio tracks pop up in my youtube sub feed, but didn’t realize the release date was today.
Track Listing & Thoughts
- Can’t Get Enough of Myself (featuring B.C.) [official audio] // a reggae-60s hybrid, easy to dance to
- Big Boss Big Time Business [official audio] // a song for any hardworking entrepreneur – jam out while dancing at your Ikea standing desk
- Banshee [official audio] // “let me play with fire tonight” – Happy Friday! I love to play with fire ????
- Chasing Shadows // much like the whole album, I just want it to be summer, sunny, and driving with the windows down and the wind in my hair
- Walking in a Circle [official audio] // I picture a Bowie-hybrid from Labyrinth/The Hunger stalking through a late 80s early 90s music video set with dry ice fog rolling around
- Who Be Lovin Me (featuring ILoveMakonnen) // also feeling an 80s vibe -love the beats
- Rendezvous Girl [official audio] // more 80s feels and it’s like I’m a kid in the middle of summer
- Before the Fire [official audio] // “I was born before the fire” feels very earthy and spiritual, I want to dance around in the forest with long wavy hair streaming down my back and the sun setting over the Palouse
- All I Got [official audio] // “you want it, you got it, come get it” yaaaas!
- Outside the War [official audio] // her voice tho, I’m living FOR IT!
- Run the Races [official audio] // one of the (maybe the only) slower song, good bass, it’s like dancing to a poem
- Who I Thought You Were [official audio] // “are you ever going to be who I thought you were?“
The album is so so so good. I’m content. It’s on Spotify and Amazon Prime, but I want to buy it. Gotta support the art we love! xx